Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Spicy Greens & Fried Green Tomatoes

I love going for dinner at my aunt & uncle's house. Ah! The sight of a well-stocked refrigerator; such an extravagance is seriously underrated. Anyhow, when I got to their place on Monday evening, I was informed that we were having haddock for supper. That was fine by me, as long as I got to do the cooking.

On my way over to the refrigerator, I spotted some green tomatoes on the counter. My first thought, why fried green tomatoes, of course! (Also a great movie, FYI.) My first encounter with fried green tomatoes was at Bobby Flay's Bar American in New York. Ever since, I'd been looking for an opportunity to work with them. So, my obvious train of thought was: " What theme could I use to incorporate haddock, amaranth and fried green tomatoes? I immediately decided on Cajun-type cuisine.

So, the star of the show was , obviously the haddock; fillets poached in white wine, lime juice and cajun seasoning. The tomatoes were coated in a spicy breadcrumb mix, and the amaranth was sauteed with onions, garlic and hot banana peppers and a few pats of buttah. You know what they say:"Everything's betta with buttah." Hollah!

Amaranth with hot peppers 1 bunch of amaranth 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 cup of hot banana peppers
2 tsp. butter

Sautee onions in oil until soft, add garlic. Add the
amaranth and cook until it wilts down, then add the hot peppers. Just before serving, toss in a few pats of butter to make it rich and creamy!

The finished product:

No comments: