Sunday, September 28, 2008

Rich and creamy treats at the market

This Saturday, I deviated from my usual baked treat and thought I'd give something else a try. I stood in the mile long line-up at Boulangerie La Vendienne, thinking that whatever I get, judging by the line-up every Saturday, their goods must be spectacular.

I was gonna go for a pain-au-chocolat; a delicious chocolatey croissant, but once I got to the front of the line a delicate flaky pastry with slivered almonds on top called out "try me!", and so I did. My original plan was thrown out the window and I bought a wonderful concoction of chocolate croissant meets almond cream and apricot goodness. There was so much going on within this sneaky pastry's sweet, innocent exterior, that I was surprised... pleasantly, but surprised none the less.


From Ted Hutton I purchased yet another oddity; a buttercup squash. I'm slowly going through the species here, and am enjoying it immensely. The buttercup squash is richer than most. With a bright orange flesh, the sweet squash was beautiful roasted with rosemary, sage, hot chili flakes and full cloves of garlic. Another piece of vegetable candy; garlic cloves, roasted with their skin on, lose their piquant taste and become sweet and mushy.


And so, it was yet another day of delights at the Halifax Farmer's Market!

No comments: