Friday, September 12, 2008

Pleasantly surprised at Pete's Frootique

soupI really, really wanted a nice healthy dinner. I was on my own for supper, the first in a long time, which meant that my dins destination was entirely up to me. I wandered into Pete's Frootique, and did my usual once a week exploration session for research purposes.

When my stomach pains got unbearable and I noticed some people react to the growling emerging from within, I succumbed to the fact that it was time to stop my food daydreaming and enter food reality.

It was a chilly afternoon, one that makes me crave my warm fleece blanket. Just to clarify, this is not my "blanky" from childhood-I never had one, really! Anyhow, on a day like this, my first instinct is to get something that will warm me up. My wise friend Laura always said that soup is like a hug from the inside.

As I moseyed over to the deli/smoothie/snack bar area, I was amazed, and slightly surprised at the selection. That's right folks, I had never been to that side of Pete's before. Pick your jaws off the floor! Normally, when I go to this food mecca, it's to get ingredients to make my own stuff.

The salad bar was mesmerizing. Seeing as how it takes me forever to judge the validity of any ingredient within a combo of ingredients to make up a salad, I quickly sidestepped this section. I made my way over to the soup tureens from whence the intoxicating aroma of baked beans, chicken soup, beef stock and sweet root vegetables was emerging.

I decided on the Santa Fe Chicken; a creamy rose soup with chunks of chicken, kidney beans, peppers and onions with Southwest seasonings. Then, I went home wrapped myself up in my blanket, and settled in for a nice, warm hug.

Pete's Frootique
1515 Dresden Row

902.425.5770
http://www.petesfrootique.com/

No comments: