Sunday, September 7, 2008

Fall Harvest at the Halifax Farmer's Market

It's that time of year again! I love autumn. It's my favorite season actually; the leaves start to change colour, I take out my warmer sweaters, and put that extra blanket on my bed. It's also my favorite season because of the Fall harvest!

pastry As per usual, my day at the market started with a trip to Julien's bakery for a phenomenal baked good. I got a delightfully flaky pastry with a creamy custard on the inside and sweet, juicy apricots.

Happily, Brian Boates was back at his post with apples and cider today, his first day back since the summer season. Though I'm eagerly anticipating the return of my favorite, Cortland apple, I got a bag of Gravenstein, newly added to Slow Food Nova Scotia's "Ark of Taste" for endangered culinary products. I'm a firm believer in the 'apple a day' superstition...normally, I tally it up to about three!

squash At Ted Hutton's spot, I bought an interesting carnival squash, eggplant and cute little pattypan squash. I foresee a rich veg stew in my future! That makes two newbies added to my culinary repertoire as I've only eaten eggplant, never cooked with them.

I also got a tub of Hutton's grape tomatoes. It's funny, that until about a year ago, I didn't even really like tomatoes. Now, these things are so good, I eat them like popcorn! Sprinkled with salt and pepper! They're little snacks that burst in your mouth.

No comments: