Tuesday, June 17, 2008

BAR AMERICAN 152 W 52nd Street


Bobby Flay. The name alone conjures up memories of the most succulent, tender and mouth-watering steak that I’ve ever had in my life (MESA GRILL -102 5th Avenue). He outdid himself this time.

We started off by sharing a few appys: a beautiful, spicy tuna tartar and fried green tomatoes. The latter were a pleasant surprise; lightly battered and fried, the sweet tomatoes were paired with a rich mix of crispy fried duck and drizzled with a homemade sweet ‘n’ sour sauce. I hate to go all Rachel Ray, but allow me to say: “Yummo”. The tartar was a refreshing mix of classics; buttery tuna and salty capers along with creamy Parmesan cheese and plenty of fresh cracked pepper. This light dish was a great contrast to the richer tomatoes.

Next came the mains. As per usual, when I made the reservation for Bobby Flay’s Bar American on 54th and B’way, I poured over the on-line menu, and had already decided that I would have- the Wednesday night special; Bourbon BBQ’d ribs. The plate held a half rack of fall-off-the-bone ribs, glazed with a smokey, caramel-like Bourbon glaze. A down-home cornmeal biscuit with savory tomato butter rounded out the flavor of the meat.

As the menu was a la carte, we shared two soul food-like side dishes; fresh, crisp spring asparagus with a light and creamy green peppercorn vinaigrette, and a sweet potato gratin that conjured up every memory of a Thanksgiving meal all in one bite. It was both smooth and creamy, sweet and spicy all at the same time.

Now, I have to back up my claim as this being “The best meal I’ve ever had.” Normally, though the mere mention of ribs makes my mouth water, it was all these components together that made the meal. To top it off, we shared a bottle of a smooth Pinot that complemented each dish remarkably well. There’s just something about Bobby’s stuff- just when I think that something is (really) ridiculously delicious, he adds that extra little detail that makes it an assault on your senses

No comments: